Divorce is a complicated process regardless of how well you may have planned for it but an experienced Phoenix divorce attorney can help make the process more go more smoothly. The most important thing you can do is to take stock of your situation and try to anticipate how your spouse may react without starting a conflict.
Our Phoenix divorce attorneys can explain how the law will affect your finances, custody of your children and your property. Unfortunately, many people come to our office only after they have encountered problems and resistance from their spouse. It is far better to avoid problems than it is to try and fix a situation that could have been prevented.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Sneaking around or gathering records without their knowledge can damage any trust that may have existed. Be open and honest with your spouse.
- Avoid being adversarial. Divorce can be contentious enough and purposefully instigating conflict, though it may feel good at the time, can only cause problems in the long term.
- If you have engaged in questionable conduct such as infidelity, confessing to this behavior may create additional hostility and mistrust.
- Don’t attempt to hide assets or manipulate your finances. You are legally obligated to disclose ALL of your assets. You will get caught and judges will harshly sanction you for concealing property or money.
- Avoid engaging in arguments or disputes with your spouse. Regardless of the desire to correct them or explain your point of view, it is usually best to avoid confrontation. Be reasonable.
- If children are involved, always remember that their well-being must come first. Don’t fight in front of the children and don’t use the children to gain leverage. Nothing good can result from this behavior and the children will suffer emotional and psychological harm.
- When in doubt, consult your lawyer.
- Be honest with your lawyer. We are your advocate and cannot help if you conceal information from us.
Contact Our Phoenix Divorce Attorneys
Regardless of how long you have been married or how complicated your case may seem, our Phoenix divorce attorneys can help. Call the Law Offices of Janice M. Palmer, P.C. at (480) 820-4771 or toll-free at (888) 352-7725 for a consultation.