Clients often ask our divorce lawyers in Chandler AZ for guidance in custody cases. The professionals at our office realize that custody could easily be the most stressful aspect of your case. Since emotions run high, it can be hard to separate feelings from legal matters, especially if the parties do not agree. For this reason, you will likely benefit from the services of competent divorce lawyers in Chandler AZ. If you and your soon-to-be ex cannot agree about custody in a case, the judge will decide. While custody laws differ according to jurisdiction, family court judges usually place the best interests of the children as a top priority in each case. These factors might seem like common sense, but the judge has no idea of your background, so he or she will carefully consider all relevant information. Our divorce lawyers in Chandler AZ can help present your case in the most favorable light.
Common Factors in Custody Decisions
The judge usually looks at the following factors in custody cases:
- The love and emotional bond between the parents and child – However, the child might have bonded equally with both parents, so this consideration might not be relevant.
- The stability of the home – One parent might need to move in with relatives while the other parent might have his or her own place.
- The child’s preferences and who he or she wants to live with – The court does not always have a specific age when they allow a child to provide their input into where he or she will live.
- Domestic violence – The court will consider any history of domestic violence between the parties.
- Other factors – The courts look at other factors, such as family support, a parent’s financial ability to care for the child and the parents’ criminal record.
No two cases are alike, so talk to our divorce attorney Chandler AZ for further advice about child custody matters.
Presenting Evidence in a Child Custody Case
Witness can provide excellent support in your child custody case. Family members, doctors, babysitters and teachers all might know relevant information that they could offer the court. Our divorce attorney Chandler AZ can provide you with further suggestions of who to call as a witness.
Call a Divorce Attorney Chandler AZ Residents Trust